gm! so great to see so many of you at sxsw. next up is miami tech week and NFT paris.
we’re super excited to start onboarding DAOs this week. If you want to start your own DAO, you can do so here.
each week, in this newsletter we’ll cover the latest events, headlines, and insights in crypto and community. welcome to collective thoughts!
what we’re reading
- Reese Witherspoon and Gwyneth Paltrow Push for Crypto Sisterhood (WSJ)
- What is DeFi? (The New York Times)
- Why web3’s wealthy are donating crypto instead of cash (TechCrunch)
- Bored Ape’s New ApeCoin Puts NFTs’ Power Problem on Display (Bloomberg)
- NFT Related Startups Pulled In Over $2.6 Billion This Past Year (Crunchbase)
what’s on the calendar
ready for miami tech week?
tues @ 4pm ET | (RSVP)
we’ll chat about miami tech week and what events you can't miss. we’ll also be doing some ticket giveaways as well. 👀👀👀
Get your tickets here and receive a discount when you use the Upstream discount code: UPSTREAM
*remove the “frens” discount code in order to apply the “UPSTREAM” discount code
weds @ 2pm ET | (RSVP)
this week we will share best practices on using discord, how to keep your discord safe from hackers, and a few must-do to minimize the noise on your discord.
web3 equity & inclusion | celebrating women’s history month
thurs @ 4pm ET | (RSVP)
this series is co-hosted by me and Michelle Abbs, VP of Community & Education at MetaGood. Every month we will invite those helping make web3 equitable to share insights on what they’re working on and how we can drive diversity in web3. This month we will be celebrating Women's History Month! 🎉
where we’re going
fundraising breakfast with the nyc startup community
weds @ 9:30am ET | (RSVP)
join us for our monthly Fundraising Breakfast hosted by Ruben Austin, Director at Burkland & Partner at Transatlantic Venture Partners. This month's guest speaker is John Frankel, Partner at ff Venture Capital.
crypto & croissants
march 25 @ 11am - 1pm ET | (RSVP)
Our first gathering of people interested in crypto and blockchain in Barcelona. No experience is needed, just curiosity! We’ll meet at Frizzant for coffee, croissants, and casual chatting about crypto.
march 22-27 | (RSVP)
If you’re in Barcelona for Avalanche, Sarah will be speaking on a panel about DAOs. The panel will cover best practices for DAOs and discuss the current landscape.
who’s talking about crypto
- Neetu Puranikmath | Investor at Unmatched Ventures
- Elizabeth Hunker | VP of IDG
- David Berkowitz | Founder of Serial Marketers
- Jeremy G | Partnerships and Integration Lead at The Metakey
what we’re sharing in our group chats
- This TikTok breaking down Outdoor Voices founder Ty Haney’s move into crypto (TikTok)
- This podcast explaining what the metaverse is with Breanna Faye, Metaverse architect and tech exec (Spotify)
- This Twitter live about “Social Tokens as a Rewards System for DAOs” (Twitter)
- This video explaining what ETH 2.0 is (Youtube)
what we're screenshotting
what we're celebrating
- Upstream’s fundraise was covered by Business Insider (Article)
- We’re hiring at Upstream! Join the team as a Developer, CX Lead, Content Manager, & more (Job Board)
- Upstream Community Member Tasha Kim is teaching a course on the art historical origins of NFTs (Tweet)
- Annie Reardon of Glow Labs spoke on CNBC about leaving her tradfi job to build a company in web3 (Tweet)
Like this newsletter? Forward it to a friend. Let me and Sarah know what you want more or less of in the next edition of collective thoughts.
See you at an event soon!